Why is corporate wellness important?
The health of a business is dependent upon the health of its employees!
Consider the following statistics:
- 1 in 5 Americans is obese
- 7 out of 10 Americans don’t exercise regularly
- In 1994, employers spent $13 billion on health-related costs. Estimates indicate that the 2008 costs will top $45 billion.
- 22% of employees are overweight or obese
- Healthcare costs are 36% higher for obese employees
- Average health care costs: $13,242/person with diabetes versus $2,650/person without diabetes
- Estimated costs of obesity at a large company (>1000 employees) - $285,000 per year
- Annual cost of poor employee nutrition - $1,474 per employee
These numbers are scary and they’re only going up from here!
But it doesn’t have to be this way…